Thursday, May 20, 2010

Model and Lecturer Designs Lagos Carnival wears


isio

one of iso's design

By Oyindamola Lawal
As Lagos State count down to its maiden carnival April 3, two talented designers, Isio Wanogho, a model, creative artist and designer; Odun Orimolade, a fashion designer and lecturer in Yaba College of Technology, are pouring out their creativity to design carnival wears.
For the two up-coming designers, designing carnival clothes and max producing is their first attempt. Orimolade shares her view, “I have always loved costumes. This is actually my first time of designing carnival wears and mass-producing at the same time, I have always done costume wears. There is a big different between fashion and costume. Most designers don’t dabble into costume wears; expect for few designers that have flair for experimentation.”

Isio Wanogho added, “ when I was contacted, I did some research into what carnival costumes look like, looked at the ones that experiment my creativity and what I produce and create something new and different. This is actually my first attempt.”
Speaking on what inspires them to create such a unique, yet classy designs, Wanogho said, “I like beautiful things, I desire to create something beautiful, put something together and create what people will love, wear and admire. It’s seeing a simple thing in my mind, putting it together and it comes out extra ordinary. They have something of me in them. For females, my costumes are very feminine, and I believe a woman should always be a women when it comes to dressing.”
Orimolade spoke on her inspirations, “. I like exaggeration and it lead to something new, different and trendy. I have an idea of Victorian skirt and I exaggerate it, it turns to a new style. I m working with people from the skill centre, it’s been an eye opener. How much they are ready to learn is inspiring.”
Both Wanogho and Orimolade disclosed that they source their fabrics from the local market. According to them, they use less expensive materials that are very details and experimental.
On their challenges, Wanogho spoke, “It is one thing to see something and like it and it is another thing to produce that thing you desire in your mind. Another major challenge is getting the right man power, in terms of tailors costume is different from normal wears and all the rigid rules In fashion don’t comply. In carnival wear, the louder, the better.” Orimolade adds, “ one of the challenges I face is medium is the time frame. We are doing what other people, countries, states take a whole year to plan.”
Orimolade stated, “ I try to cover space. I just got a call. There is a big difference between fashion and costume designers. Most fashion designers don’t dabble into costume wears, only designers that have a flair for experimentation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment