Monday, June 14, 2010

Martwayne Breaks into the Fashion industry With Breath-taking designs

For those who were able and not able to get The Guardian Life Magazine ( A Pull Out in The Guardian Newspapers) yesterday, 13th June, 2010, this is a full version of the designer article. This pretty damsel is a bunch of talents, though her designs look very western but you will agree with me that they are trendy.
  I decided to feature her on my blog because your her unique, creativity and artistic expression. Read on and Enjoy
  Temitope William is the pretty lady behind Martwayne. This upcoming designer has been able to carve a niche for herself in her on unique way. Out of frustration of having to deal with her tailors who ruined her clothes, Williams decided to go to a fashion school in SA. At the Lagos Fashion week, she displayed a range of breath-taking western piece that swept the audience off their feet.  her styles and creativity has stood her out in the crowd, whilst creating fashion choices for young suave fashionistas.
Why did you venture into Fashion Designing?

To be honest, if someone had told me about 6 years ago I’d be a designer today, I’d have laughed in his/her face.  I simply could not stand Clothing & Textiles in school.  But it all began when my tailor who had been sewing my clothes for at least 2 years wrecked my clothes.  I was furious!  I simply could not understand how it could have happened since she had my measurements and I could not have gained (...or lost...) that much weight since the first set of clothes. 

Out of frustration I told her I’d go and study how to sew and come back to teach her.  And I was serious...after all I knew what I wanted and could picture it in my head so why couldn’t I bring my ideas to life.

And that was how it all started.  I spoke to people and my ideas evolved from just trying to make my own clothes to fashion design and consulting.  Besides, I have always wanted to be an entrepreneur so here I am, a few years later thanking God everyday that I made the decision to follow this route.

How was it going into the Fashion Industry?

Oh...it wasn’t easy I tell you.  First I could neither draw nor sew to save my life.  I couldn’t even draw a straight line without a ruler.  So the first thing I did was buy myself 2 books from Nu Metro at Silverbird Galleria “Drawing for Dummies” & “Figure Drawing for Fashion Design”.  I also tried to go to a sewing school here in Lagos but it didn’t quite work out so I decided to look offshore and decided on South Africa. 

So after conceiving my idea in November 2005, I resigned from my job as a tax consultant in KPMG Professional Services and left in February 2007 for Fashion School in Cape Town, South Africa to study another undergraduate degree, this time in Fashion Design at a private college. 

It was a big challenge seeing I didn’t know a soul there so I learnt a lot of things the hard way.  But you know what they say... “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”.  So after 3 full years of hard work, I left with a BA in Fashion Design and a Higher Diploma in Management from an Australian College.

I moved back home on the 28th of December, 2009 and it has been a rollercoaster ride since then.

Where do you draw, get your inspirations from?

Oh....like every designer would say....I get my inspiration from everything around me.  It could be from something as simple as a light bulb to a building or even trees or even from what people say.  We usually see beyond what people take for granted.  But I also do a lot of research before I actually start working.  So if for example, I decide to come up with a Indian-inspired collection, I would do a thorough research on their way of life, the types of fabrics they use, why they are used so I can tell a proper story that is easily communicated to my audience.

I am still not a fan of drawing so most of the time I have my images in my head.  When I need to put pencil to paper, I do a few storyboards or technical drawings just to have a visual representation of what is in my head.  Most times, what I draw evolves into something else by the time the garment is complete because I keep getting ideas as I sew or after draping the garment on a mannequin.

What stands your designs out?


Ohhh....well what can I say...  I think first it must be the fact that you can easily see my passion in my work and the energy that goes into everything I produce.  I guess it would also be the quality of fabrics I use, the detail and the finishing.  For me, the designs do not end with the garments.  It’s the total look.  So I have to think of shoes, accessories, hair and make-up when I work on a collection.  Sometimes I make my accessories and do my hair and make-up because I know the exact look I’m going for. 

I am also a stickler for perfection and sometimes people think I’m too meticulous.  But for me, nearly isn’t good enough.  If I have to unpick my stitches 10 times to get the perfect one, I will...especially since I was taught the couture way of finishing garments.  And judging from the feedback I have received, people can easily see my thought process in my garments as each item of clothing has to fit into the whole story.  If it doesn’t work, it goes off.


What is your specialty and why?

My specialty?! Well I love formal wear. I guess this would come from my professional background.  I love structured looks which give the perception of power and authority...clothing for a typical executive climbing into a position of authority.    That is easily translated into my clothing in the form of straight lines and silhouettes that give a professional look.  I also like wearable clothing where the detail isn’t so overbearing that it cannot be worn.  I love to play with fabric, especially fabrics with lustre, and refabrication techniques such as pleats, pin tucks, piping and also accessories such as diamantes and beads.  I also have a bit of a “rock thing to me” so I also like to work with chains and spikes.  I guess for me, I see clothes as an artist sees his easel so I just go all out.  If I can see it in my head, then I can do it on pattern paper and translate that onto fabric.

Role Model?

Role model?  Oh...that easily would be my mother!  She is just absolutely fabulous. 

My role model in the Nigerian fashion Industry, however, is Deola Sagoe.  I think she is just brilliant!  There is so much to learn from her and it appears we may have a similar design philosophy.  After seeing her collection at the very first fashion show I attended before I left for SA, I think it was the This Day show, I said to myself I have to be like her.  You can see her passion in her work.

Muse?

Hmmmnnn.... I’m not really sure I have one actually.  I guess everyone I design for is my muse at that point in time.  And where I’m working on a collection, I guess my mannequin is my muse then since I’’m not sure who will wear the clothes at the show.

Where did you coin your outfit name from and why?


Well the label Martwayne comes from a combination of 2 words, “Maniere” and “TWayne”.  Maniere is a modification of the French word, Maniera, which means “Fashion” or “Way of Life” and TWayne is my nickname, the TW in caps standing for my initials “Tope Williams”.  So it simply translates into “Fashion & Tope Williams”. 

The corporate name of my company is, however, Martwayne Dynamiques – and the “Dynamiques” (pronounced dynamics) referring to “a positive motivational influence characterised by constant movement, energy or change”.  And that is what I hope to do with my outfit – be a driving force that believes in “Empowering Individuals through Fashion” which is also the company’s slogan.  This we plan to do through our clothing line “Martwayne” and our consulting arm “Fashion Advisory & Support Services (FASS) [pronounced F-A-Double S]”. 

What kind of fabrics do you use and why?

Hmmn.... well I work with pretty much anything but I’m more partial towards plain fabrics of solid colours and love fabrics that drape such as stretch satin.  I also love working with embossed taffeta, silk, linen, leatherette...oh pretty much anything that would give me the look I desire and give me the free rein to manipulate it as much as I can.  My designs determine the fabric I use really.  

But I must confess that I didn’t work much with African prints for various reasons.  One is because we hardly used African prints during my course, and another is because the large prints are such a mission to match properly during pattern placement and cutting.  Also where you have a busy patterned fabric, you cannot over-manipulate the fabric since you want to draw attention to the fabulous prints which would be a crime to hide in tucks and pleats.  But this has since changed since coming back home and I have learnt to work with and love African prints.

Education and Family Background


I graduated in 2002 with a 2nd Class Upper Degree in Economics from Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.  Worked for 2 years in Lawrie Green Education (now PFL Limited) and another 2 and a half years in KPMG before heading off to Fashion School where I obtained a BA in Fashion Design from the Future Excellence Design Institute of South Africa (FEDISA) and a Higher Diploma in Management from the Australian Business & Retail Academy (ABRA) .  I am also in the final stages of a long distance programme in Image Consulting from the Institute of Image Consultants in the UK and also have to complete my professional accounting examinations with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria (ICAN) which I promised my folks I would finish when I return from SA. 

Re my family background, I am the second to the last of 6 children.  My dad is a doctor and my mother is a petroleum dealer. 

What do you look out for before designing?

Well...before I design, I have to have a theme or a concept from which all my designs at a particular time will come from.  And then I need to know if I how easy it will be to construct the garments or get the needed materials to properly communicate these themes before I go ahead and design.  And if I do design, I need to also look out for a Plan B and C just in case the initial plan doesn’t work out for any reason.

Designing needs proper planning else you fall flat on your face.  For example, you don’t want to get so carried away by what you are doing that you forget the practical aspects of the clothing such as how the person will get into the garment or you design and forget that oh...these materials might not be readily available in the market.  Thankfully, proper planning helps you determine what you need and the possible challenges you might face and how to work around these challenges. 

Show & Exhibitions you’ve showcased your outfit.

The most recent show was the Lagos Fashion Week which held at the Civic Center in April.  Prior to that, I had showcased outfits at the Crystal Gala in Cape Town, an event hosted in collaboration with the organisers of the Cape Town International Jazz Festival and various fashion shows organised by FEDISA.

Awards?

None yet – “yet” being the operative word.  But hey... I guess having your outfits as part of the chosen few of a large collection prepared by a class of extremely talented designers to be showcased on the runway has to count for something right?  So yes... I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

With a lot of competitors in the industry, how have you been able to stand out in the crowd?

Well.... I’m still pretty new in the industry.  But my philosophy has never been about competing with the existing players in the industry.  There really is no need in my opinion.  The industry is too big and the market to wide for it.  For me, “collaboration” is the name of the game. 

So how have I been able to stand out in the crowd you ask?  I would say what has surprised most people, especially my colleagues in the industry, is my willingness to work with other designers.  For me, the industry is still evolving and a lot of work needs to be done to get it where all stakeholders would like it to get it to. 

I have always been a consultant and my passion is about helping people achieve the best they can through fashion.  That is why I set up FASS, the consulting/advisory arm of Martwayne Dynamiques.  Be it a client or a fellow colleague, it is all about helping others grow. 

So do I have competitors?  I would rather say I have co-workers or business associates.

Who are your clientele?

Oh... I would say pretty much everyone.  Our outfit is unique because we provide both a product (in the form of actual garments through our clothing label Martwayne) and a service (through FASS). 

Our products and services cut across individuals, corporate organisations and fellow designers.  Like I said, I am a fashion consultant and also a designer so the company helps others achieve what they would like to achieve through fashion, be it in the area of theme development for fashion shows to professional styling and branding for individuals.  We (i.e. my team and I) design and construct clothing for individuals (clients and fellow designers) in the areas of customised traditional, corporate and casual wear.  We also do wardrobe consultations, personal styling and personal shopping for individuals. 

In the area of image consulting, we have been fortunate to run a dress code presentation for a company and we have more lined up by God’s grace.  We also teach people the basics of design right from pattern making to garment construction (we have about 2 interns with us learning the ropes) and hope to facilitate design courses in a new fashion school that is about to be established.  So yes, our services cut across various segments in the industry.

Challenges?

There have been too many!!!  I tell you, if I start now I would go on for years.  But you know what, it has been a learning process.  But I am extremely grateful that I have received only support from family and friends since I decided to go into the industry a few years ago and I tell you, the encouragement alone is enough to make me wake up the next morning after an exasperating day.  It hasn’t been easy but I am totally thankful to God for bringing me this far and not letting go.  To be honest, as trying as it has been, I can only say I have loved every frustrating minute of it.

Projections into the future

Oh... I have big plans.  My dream is for Martwayne Dynamiques to be the one stop clinic for fashion and related concerns.  My major aim for the design arm is the proper manufacturing and distribution of my retail line, Martwayne.  I also plan to manufacture clothing for other designers who would love to produce on a large scale but who are frustrated with the local tailors in the industry.  Like I said it’s all about collaboration. 

With the consulting arm, FASS, it’s about “seeing a need and filling a need”.  We hope to help people gain more confidence in themselves through the way they look and the skills they wish to acquire.  All in all, it’s about working with others to achieve the best they can and “Empowering Individuals Through Fashion”.

1 comment:

  1. She is a very determined lady, passionate about her dreams. She is also a creative designer as well. I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete